San Pedro Vicariate
The Assumption Parish through the years
Once upon a time there was only one church in Davao City. That was the San Pedro Church. People all around had to go to San Pedro to hear Mass. Then as the city population grew, other parishes and churches were made like Sta. Ana, Fatima and St. Jude.
A dormitory for girls, Our Lady of Good Counsel, built in December 1952, run and managed by the M.I.C. Sisters, was put up for college, high school and working girls. In this dorm was a chapel. This was a blessing for the people of Jacinto, Mapa, Tionko and Mabini streets and its vicinity because they did not have to go San Pedro for their Masses.
In 1956, the Redemptorists came and started building a church on its present location. The Redemptorists who helped organize the parish and built the Assumption Church were Frs. John Scanlan, CssR., Gerard Daly, Christopher Keans, Francis Burns and Patrick Myers. The Brothers were Gerard, Charles and Dominic.
Before the church floor was concreted, we had to kneel on pieces of wood and on rainy days, it was just terrible. But the building of the church was a relief for the Sisters of the dorm because they did not have to clean up the mud after each Mass. Every bench in the church had to be solicited from the parishioners. The CWL was the first organization set up with Mrs. Felicidad Falcasantos as President. The Redemptorists stayed with us for a few years until they found a bigger site for their purpose – the building of the shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help in Bajada.
From the Redemptorists the parish was given to the P.M.E. Fathers with Fr. Jean Bernard Bazinet, P.M.E., as the first parish priest. Other priests who came after Fr. Brazinet were Frs. Conrad Lafortune, Benjamin Benedicto, and Edgar Rodriguez. The last two were Diocesan priests.
In 1972 when the Blessed Sacrament Congregation came, the Assumption Parish area was divided in two, giving the northern portion to the Redemptorists and what was left is the Assumption Parish, a portion then containing about 8,000 parishioners.
The church and convent are located on a half-hectare land donated to the Archdiocese of Davao by the Tionko family. The church can accommodate 350 persons inside but on bigger occasions chairs are placed along the outside to accommodate the overflow.
Three priests and a brother made up the pioneer Blessed Sacrament Community that came to Davao at the invitation of Archbishop Clovis Thibault, P.M.E. Fr. Joseph Roy, SSS, was installed as parish priest in a simple but very significant ceremony. This was the fulfillment of a cherished dream for both the parishioners and the Blessed Sacrament Congregation whose apostolate was to spread the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.
Since the Blessed Sacrament Congregation took over the parish, many parish organizations have been set up by the parishioners with the guidance of the Fathers and Brothers. As was hoped by the pioneer SSS group to extend their influence beyond the parish limits, the Assumption Church became the prayer Center of the city and the Archdiocese. People from the parishes including those outside the city proper came to the Assumption Church for their adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Later on, the different parishes organized their own PEL (People’s Eucharistic League) for the convenience of their adorers, but the seminar and the reception ceremony to the PEL are still done at the Assumption Church, the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament.
Weekly seminars sponsored by the different parish groups are held with the same ultimate goal – to deepen the understanding of the Holy Eucharist and to enrich Christian life through a more intimate union with this Central Sacrament of our faith.
The Fathers and Brothers of the Blessed Sacrament Congregation are making use of the existing organizations in order to instill in the people a greater love for the Holy Eucharist. The greater intimacy with the Eucharistic Christ will lead the people to a more zealous fulfillment of their responsibilities as Christians and contribute their share to the betterment of the Christian society in which they live.
This is your CHURCH and this is your PARISH. Build it and make it grow. Your strong faith in the living presence of Jesus Christ in the midst of His people through His Sacrament of LOVE will make these parishes grow into a power house of Christian holiness.
The past fifty years have seen the Redemptorist presence in Davao filled with dynamism and apostolic zeal, constantly attending to the local church while ever mindful of promptings of the Holy Spirit urging them to follow Christ the Redeemer by preaching the Good news to the poor. The members of the missionary congregation for men seek to follow Christ by responding to the pressing pastoral needs of the poor and especially the most abandoned, devoting themselves entirely to evangelization.
1906 — The first Redemptorists came to the Philippines from Ireland and established their first foundation in Opon, Mactan Island, Cebu.
1952 — Bishop Clovis Thibault of Davao requested the Vice-Provincial Superior Father John Ryan to establish a foundation in his prelature. The foundation was canonically accepted by the Superior General Father Buys on June 21, 1952.
1955 — The first community of Redemptorists arrived in Davao. It was composed of Fr. John Scanlan, Fr. Francis Burns, and later, Fr. Patrick Myers and Bro. Gerard Santamaria. They stayed with the PME Fathers until December of the same year.
1956 — They moved to the Assumption rectory and administered the assumption Church. In July, the community procured a two-hectare lot from Dr. Santiago Dacudao in Bajada. Don Ramon Aboitiz was a benefactor while Judge Marcelo Fernan worked on the transfer of title.
1958 — The construction of “temporary” church was begun and community moved into their new home in Bajada.
1959 — In July of this year the conferes set out their first mission in Magugpo (Tagum). This was followed by missions in Mati and Malalag.
1971 — In response to the grave social realities of the country, the missioners decided to adapt a new thrust as a component in their missionary endeavors — the establishment of BECs and community organizing. This was a move away from old method with its focus in sin and conversion, sacraments and Christian living.
1972 — Another challenge was posed by the local bishop — to accept a parish. The offer was accepted and the Redemptorist with their lay collaborators engaged themselves in forming Christian communities (GKK) from bajada to Callawa.
1975 — The Redemptorist Theologate was transferred to Davao. The students were sent to study at Saint Francis Regional Major Seminary (REMASE).
1980 — The foundation for the new church was laid. A year later the new church was blessed and consecrated.
1987 — The St. Alphonsus Theologate opened its own theological program.
Today the Redemptorist presence is felt in the lives of people touched by their ministry. Many people from all over the city frequent the Church for the Wednesday novena and the Sunday Eucharist. Regular masses in the GKK enliven the faith while Christian formation is given through the various seminars and education programs in the parish. It is our hope and desire to continue our commitment to Christ in preaching plentiful redemption especially to the poor.
Sacred Heart Vicariate
St. James Vicariate
The Creation of San Miguel Parish
The GKKs around San Miguel Parish were once a part of St. Joseph the Worker Parish of Sasa and St. Francis Xavier of Tibungco. To cater most the needs of the parishioners the Archdiocese of Davao looked forward to create a new parish, with the coordination of the parish priest of St. Joseph, Rev. Fr. Julius Rodulfa DCD and his associate Rev. Fr. Bill Larouse.
August 11, 1993 a meeting of all GKK leaders who belong to the proposed parish was called. The body agreed to temporarily use the chapel of San Miguel Centro for holding masses and other religious activities. On August 15, 1993 Rev. Fr. Bill Larouse officiated the first mass of the proposed parish at San Miguel Centro. There was an election of officer to man the different activities after the mass.
President – Florida M. Tangara, Vice Pres. – Susan Toreno, Secretary – Lourdes Ricafort, Treasurer – Liberacion Manuales, Auditor – Rogelio Barrete, Liturgy Committee – Benjamin Balcoba, Service Committee – Severo Hualde, Formation – Alice Tinaan, Arts and Environment – Letecia Samarita and Aurora Zamora, Choir – Alvin Olaer and Felomino Callaman, Utilities – Fresco Sepalon and Tita Perez, Construction Committee – Wendell Vismanos and Armando Zamora and Temporalities Jaime Samarita.
A study committee was then formed under the chairmanship of Martin Lopez Sr. and members Wellie Ordaneza, Felix Jaen, Fresco Sepalon and Florida Tangara to look for available for sale lots. The committee was able to contact the Acosta family and close a deal of acquiring a 5,000 sq. meter lot at P100.00 per sq. meter. The archdiocese gave P200,000.00 and St. Joseph Parish gave P200,000.00. The community raised P100,000.00 enough to purchase the 5,000 sq. meter lot.
On June 19, 1994 Rev. Fr. Loreto D. Bastasa DCD was installed the parish priest and San Miguel was officially proclaimed as parish. Several fund raisings were done to acquire an additional 5,000 sq. meter land and to start building the church. Engr. Rudy J. Sultan was then elected the chairman of the Construction Committee.
On June 20, 1995 after a concelebrated mass Archbishop Antonio L. Mabutas laid out the corner stone. There was no road yet nor a bridge to cross the creek so coconut trunks were temporarily made as bridge. Engr. Rudy J. Sultan and the PPC President Florida M. Tangara presented the building plan to the Archbishop, but he did not approve it for fear that the community will not be able to finish for it’s so big. But we insisted.
On June 25, 1996 the Construction Committee started the layout of the site. With God’s grace and collaborative effort of the parishioners, GKK leaders, Sponsors and the Lay Eucharistic Ministers who did a great role in the construction through “Bayanihan” and with great support of Engr. Rudy J. Sultan and family using their construction equipment, the church building now stand gigantically.
The first mass of the newly constructed church was a midnight mass at 10:00 pm on December 24, 1997.
(Taken from the History of “How San Miguel Parish Come To Be” by Florida Maputi Tangara)
HISTORY OF THE ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI QUASI-PARISH
La Verna Hills Subd., Diversion Road, Davao City
The St. Francis of Assisi community which is located at La Verna Hills Subdivision, Brgy. Cabantian, Davao City was canonically established as a Quasi Parish last September 17, 2013 by his Excellency Most Reverend Romulo G. Valles, DD within the Eucharistic celebration. The installation of its first Parish Priest in the person of Rev. Fr. Orlando A. Angelia also took place at the same time.
The jurisdiction of the new Quasi-Parish extends from DAMOSA, Mamay Road to Sun City, Diversion Road which includes sixteen chapels namely: Zone 1 – St. Anthony, St. Anthony Village and MOPH, Liceralde; Zone 2 – Sto. Nino, Diamond Village and San Jose, JLA Subd.; Zone 3 – San Lorenzo Ruiz, Victoria Heights Subd.; Zone 4 – St. Vincent, Vincent Heights and San Miguel, Diho Subd.; Zone 5 – Sagrada Familia, PUNAD and Sto. Nino, Lea Subd.; Zone 6 – Birhensa Fatima, Pag-Ibig Homes and St. Francis of Assisi, La Verna and Zone 7 – St. Joseph, Davao Empress Community, Christ the King, SPDA Communal and MOPH, Catitipan. These GKKs were formerly part of the three parishes of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Bajada; San Miguel Parish, Panacan and St. Mary’s Parish, Buhangin.
The feast day of this new Quasi-Parish falls every 17th of September which is the day to commemorate the Stigmata of St. Francis of Assisi, honoring this unique gift of the Lord by experiencing the same marks of the five wounds of our Lord.
The Parishioners of this young parish community are encouraged to be selfless, humble and simple as well as being compassionate to the poor by imitating the example of their patron saint – St. Francis of Assisi.
One feature that characterizes this new parish community is its promotion of organic gardening as a way of taking care of mother nature and by protecting the environment as a way of imbibing the spirit of St. Francis as a patron of ecology and environment.
The talented Rondalla group which is composed of young parishioners makes this new and young parish proud which just rightly shows that even the younger generation is happy to take part in the quest of living up St. Francis of Assisi’s example through selfless service to the Church.
The elder members of the community also take active roles in the parish life through various organizations like Divine Mercy Apostolate, Couples for Christ and by being part of the Formators or catechetical ministries.
The Vicariate School of Theology (VST) which is a privilege granted by the IIREFF (Ignatian Institute of Religious Education) which offers theological subjects parishioners also help giving good and sound formation of parish leaders and members.
Indeed, faith transcends the hearts of every one, no matter what age bracket they belong, through the guidance and inspiration of St. Francis of Assisi and the passion to serve the Lord in whatever way we can.
San Pablo Vicariate
Sta. Ana Vicariate
Sto. Rosario Vicariate
Immaculate Conception Vicariate
Sto. Niño Parish
The Sto. Nino Parish used to be just one of the Chapels of the Immaculate Conception Parish of Penaplata, Davao. Its first patron was Sta. Teresa del Nino de Jesus. In the year 1958, the patron saint was changed to Sto. Nino, upon the leadership of Pedro Yap, Juan Diva, Juan Rojas, and Mrs. Andrea del Campo.
Mr. Juan Rojas and Juan Diva borrowed a statue of Sto. Nino at Limao, Penaplata, Davao. Construction of the chapel was immediately undertaken with Mr. Isidro Martinez serving as the master carpenter.
A chapel made of coconut lumber and coconut leaves (for roofing) soon arose in the shoreline of Poblacion, Kaputian. Rev. Fr. Florain Rock, PME celebrated the first Holy Mass on January 15, 1958 on the occasion of its first fiesta.
The site of the chapel was later eroded due to the strong typhoon that hit the area. Church activity, however, was strengthened by the leadership of Mrs. Andrea Del Campo. The latter inculcated in the minds of the natives strong faith to our redeemer Jesus Christ.
The second chapel was constructed on the site of the cockpit area of Kaputian (the cockpit area was transferred to Talicud during the time of Rev. Fr. Rino Rengel Enopena, DCD). The 3rd chapel was constructed along the pavement going to the Health Center of Kaputian. The 4th chapel was the old convent, currently the seminar house of the Parish.
The Kaputian Christian Youth Organization was the first organization that existed. The first president was Manolo “Boy” Yap. Youth activity during that time was very fruitful. It established projects that helped alleviate the lives of the natives.
On May 30, 1983, the Sto. Nino Chapel became a parish, thereby separating itself from the mother parish Immaculate Conception. Its first parish priest was Rev. Fr. Rino Rengel Enopena, DCD. The only existing organization when he first came was the Adoracion Nocturna Filipina under Juan “Boy” Esperanza as the Jefe de Turno.
For almost 4 years that Fr. Enopena stayed, 38 chapels were created on his first year alone. Four more chapels were later added: the San Vicente Chapel in Dapia II I n 1983 and in 1984, Nuestra de Salvacion of Lisob and San Vicente Ferrer of Baong, Talicud.
Rev. Fr. Alijandrino Calapis Abing, DCD served the parish after Fr. Enopena. His administration paved the way for the construction of the parish convent and the creation of Camotesan Chapel in Talicud Island.
Rev. Fr. Loreto “Bebs” Bastasa was installed as the third parish priest in 1988. He made important revision on the church’s policy that started a pattern for the real duties and obligations of the Church and Lay Leaders. It was the birth of sectoral representation. He intensified the Lay Leaders Formation particularly the 3 existing ministries, i.e. the PSA, PSL and PSP in order to provide a strong foundation and harmonious relationship among members of the GKK (Gagmay’ng Kristohanong Katilingban).
Rev. Fr. Jovil Bongay, DCD, served as parish priest next. He started the Youth Development Training for the parish youth. His term gave importance to Youth Formation. The Parish Youth Convention was held together with Mayor Aniano P. Untalan. Samarian was also conducted in the Parish with the assistance of the Local Government Unit through the latter. Formation of Parish and Lay Leaders Formation were also intensified.
During the term of Rev. Fr. Henry Campeon, DCD, the formation of GKK leaders was given focus. Campus Masses were held for students. Poblacion groups chose their patron saints and Fiesta Mass was celebrated in their respective purok or group.
Various constructions were added in the next administrations. Rev. Fr. Nelson Lucas, DCD, constructed comfort rooms for the seminar hall and also in the convent for males and another for female guests. Rev. Fr. Roy Mejias installed fiber stained glasses, renovated the altar and the windows of the convent. The fiber stained glass installation continued during Fr. Ricky Flores term.
The Knights of Columbus as well as the Charismatic Renewal group were also organized during Fr. Flores administration.